Friday, August 12, 2011

Cucumber salad recipe

I made this for a family reunion party, and people flipped out over it. I thought it was pretty good, but was surprised to see it actually become a topic of conversation. So here's the recipe, which I came up with on the fly using whatever I could find to put together:

1 or 2 cucumbers, chopped into little pieces (I removed the seeds)

1 cup chopped fresh peas, pods and all

1 can artichoke hearts, chopped (just plain, not marinated in dressing)

1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed

handful snipped fresh cilantro

1 cup (or more) cooked little pasta noodles, like anellini (little circles), tiny shells or orzo

1 tsp celery salt (I would have put snipped celery leaves in it if I had any)

salt and pepper

about 3 tbs lemon juice

1 tsp basalmic vinegar (it has to be a pretty good, sweet vinegar; if you don't have a good one leave it out rather than substitute red wine vinegar)

about 3 tbs. olive oil
------
And here are the other things I put on chopped cucumbers in the summer:

1. Lemon juice, pepper, salt and mint
2. Lemon juice, pepper, salt, chives and dill
3. White vinegar, a little apple cider vinegar, salt, tbs. sugar, sliced onion (Masher's recipe)

EG likes all these. He eats up the lemony ones and then drinks the juice left in his bowl, which he says looks like pee. Then he goes around saying he drinks pee and laughs hysterically. I should probably explain this to his teachers in case he says it at school, lest they think he's so dehydrated at home he has to drink urine to survive.









No comments:

Post a Comment