Thursday, September 15, 2011

Breakfast for EG and me

Here's a pretty lame pic from my phone of breakfast I made for EG and me - omelet, cornbread and tomato (the tomato's just for me; he doesn't like them). Why would I bother posting a photo of breakfast? Because the eggs are from the hens I help care for and they just started laying recently. These were from a New Hampshire Red hen named Little Jerry. The omelet is made from 2 eggs, about 2 tbs. almond milk, salt, pepper, and a Golden Jubilee tomato.
The cornbread recipe is adapted from the Bob's Red Mill cornmeal package. Mine has gluten but Bob's recipe doesn't - gluten free recipe can be found here .

Preheat oven to 350 F at sea level, 365 at 5000-6000 ft elevation. Grease a 9x13 pan.

Whisk together these dry ingredients:
1 1/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup white whole wheat flour or mix of WW flour and oat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Mix wet ingredients at medium speed (it's ideal if they're all room temperature):
2 eggs or egg substitute
1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1/3 cup oil (I used olive oil)
1/4 cup some kind of sugar (I used brown rice syrup)

Once wet ingredients are completely mixed, gradually add the dry stuff, beating on low speed until incorporated. Don't overmix. It will be the consistency of cake batter. Then stir in extras if you want. I used a can of sweet corn, because it was on the shelf and needed a purpose. You could use chopped up roasted chilis or other peppers, roasted corn scraped from the cob, pineapple tomatilloes (I grew a lot of these little things - they taste just like pineapple) or anything, really.

Bob's instructions say to bake for 25-30 minutes, but mine took 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment