Friday, September 2, 2011

Everyone's dreams: grunge, zebras, extra kids

Everyone had interesting dreams last night. EG woke up cheerful and said there were little zebras that came into his room. They were toys and he played with them. He said they had instruments, like they were in a band. He was a little disappointed they were gone when he got up.

Masher dreamed he came home and there were three kids in the house: EG, another toddler, and a three month old infant. I told him that someone couldn't look after the baby anymore, and I couldn't turn him away. In the dream he was furious because I'd adopted these kids without telling him, which was funny because he said he wouldn't actually react that way if I did that. I promised I would give him at least a week's notice if I were coming home with any extra kids.

My dream was fun. We were in Seattle, stopped overnight on our way to San Francisco. I joked that I was hoping we'd run into someone from Soundgarden while we were there, so we must have gone back in time. We drove a rental car over a high bridge and I was terrified of falling off it. That part was scary. Then we went to a small venue, like a warehouse the community used for flea markets and other little events. Masher pointed to a guy and said, "There you go, Chris Cornell is over there." He was set up with only a synthesizer, amplifiers and microphone and was doing an impromptu solo gig. People started gathering. He was dressed like a grunge-era teen and his hair was shaggy like Dave Grohl's. Instead of being brooding like I expected he was cheerful, reaching out and shaking hands with people in the front of the crowd. He did some Soundgarden songs and cover songs from pop bands until something went wrong with his equipment and he called an intermission. There was free pizza during intermission so I got some from Masher and EG. I think this was brought on by surfing XM radio from the Lithium channel to the 90s channel to the classic rock channel, which was represented by our destination being San Francisco. I miss the grunge era like old people miss the 70s. I had long, frizzy hair and my laundry was either a load of blacks or a load of plaids. I deluded myself that I was sexy. Soundgarden still rocks. Alice in Chains has been successfully resurrected. I still have some plaid stuff. Maybe we should have a grunge-themed party, minus the heroin of course. That's the annoying part of the 90s - 4 out of 5 of my favorite songs are about being a miserable junkie. I can't relate. I just like plaid and don't like washing my hair every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment