Wednesday, September 7, 2011

How to get a workout at the barn

Just like when I was 16, I am always at someplace called The Barn, or talking about what happened at The Barn. I don't shower in the morning and go to an office anymore. There's no point in showering before 6 p.m. and when I do, hay often falls out of my bra.

I told a friend who is a personal trainer I couldn't afford to go to the rec center more than once a week to work out anymore, but still managed to work out at home and at the barn. She was impressed. Thought I was pretty hard core to squeeze in a workout at the barn. I realized then that not everyone does barn chores, not even all horse owners, so they don't know what a great opportunity it is to either get fit or get hurt. Here's how I lost 6 pounds this summer (doesn't sound like a lot, but hey - six pounds is six pounds):

1. Mucking stalls and pens. Mucking itself isn't that hard, but use the big wheelbarrow and fill it all the way. Jog while pushing it to the manure pile, and see how high up on the pile you can get. That's right, I said run up a mountain of sh!t. Then turn the wheelbarrow completely over to empty it. If your form is good and you've filled it up enough, your hamstrings and lower back will feel like you've done serious dead lifts. I need to get photos of this to demonstrate because I can't describe it well.

2. The general rule is No Running in the Barn, but you can run between the barn and turnouts. Our routine involves bringing horses in and turning some out, and the turnouts are spread about the property. So you can save a little time and burn a few calories running between them. I don't recommend running at the horse in the pasture because you'll freak him out and chase him off. And I don't usually jog with the horse in hand either because they'll get nervous, wondering what the hurry is. Although I do sometimes jog a horse in hand or ground drive him (like driving without a cart - you must walk or jog behind) as part of his training. You can score a mile or two per horse this way. However, this often means running in boots. I have no problem with it on soft ground but your mileage may vary.

3. Stacking hay. This shouldn't require explanation. Hay bales are big, awkward and weight about 40 pounds. Good form is essential or you will wind up with a herniated disk.

4. Grooming. Think Karate Kid: wax on, wax off. A mild workout for your triceps and delts.

5. Riding. A half hour lesson is usually enough to make my adductors pretty sore, because I don't ride enough. If you think riding isn't a workout, take a lesson from my instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment